So...IJM is getting up and running as we speak. If you are interested check us out on Facebook (Whitworth University International Justice Mission) or email one of our officers: Haley Coner (hconner18@my...), Emily Wilson (ewilson18@my...), Jackie Martinez (jmartinez17@my...)
In the meantime you should really look at these interesting facts...
1. Globally, the average cost of a slave is $90.
2. According to some estimates, approximately 80% of trafficking involves sexual exploitation, and 19% involves labor exploitation.
3. There are approximately 20 to 30 million slaves in the world today.
4. According to the U.S. State Department, 600,000 to 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year, of which 80% are female and half are children.
5. The average age a teen enters the sex trade in the U.S. is 12 to 14-year-old. Many victims are runaway girls who were sexually abused as children.
6. California harbors 3 of the FBI’s 13 highest child sex trafficking areas on the nation: Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego.
7. The National Human Trafficking Hotline receives more calls from Texas than any other state in the US. 15% of those calls are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
8. Between 14,500 and 17,500 people are trafficked into the U.S. each year.
9. Human trafficking is the third largest international crime industry (behind illegal drugs and arms trafficking). It reportedly generates a profit of $32 billion every year. Of that number, $15.5 billion is made in industrialized countries.
Until Next Time Yo...